CONGRATULATIONS! Jesaila Ortiz, winner of the Northampton LWV Civic Engagement Scholarship.
Jesaila is a member of the National Honor Society and also a Skills USA District Gold Medalist in Criminal Justice. In the fall, she will be attending Holyoke Community College studying Liberal Arts.
Help pass For the People Act (S.1) SIGN THE PETITION
Complexities of the Filibuster: The Accidental Rule That Is Interrupting the Democracy We All Deserve
Click on image to watch the video. LWVMA Sizzle Reel-100 Year Timeline. It sizzles!
Rest in Power, Justice Ginsburg
100th Anniversary Ad in Hampshire Gazette, May 23, 2020
Hearings on Redistricting in MA. YOU CAN TESTIFY!
- Congressional District 8: Tuesday, June 8, 12-5 p.m.
- Congressional District 1: Monday, June 21, 6 p.m.
- Congressional District 3: Thursday, July 8, 6 p.m.
- To provide live testimony during the hearing please complete the sign up form on the hearing page.
- To submit written testimony, please use the Contact the Committee form on the Special Joint Committee on Redistricting website.
- LWVMA will send emails to local Leagues as their district hearings are scheduled. Please email Judy Zaunbrecher if you plan to testify.
Medicare For All: Contact the Joint Committee on Health Care Financing
- If your state representative and/or state senator is on this committee, contact her/him with a personal note of your support for the bill.
- All LWVMA members please contact all the members of the Health Care Financing Committee here via email or a phone call (617-722-1432 and 617-722-2430). Ask that this bill be voted favorably out of committee in a timely manner so we can have an equitable health care bill discussed and passed in the 192nd session.
- Senate committee chair: Email Sen Cindy F. Friedman here
- House committee chair: Email Rep. John J. Lawn, Jr. here
Pass the VOTES ACT. Contact your Senator and Representative
LWVMA CONVENTION June 26
League of Women Voters of Massachusetts Convention on June 26. This year’s theme is “Expanding the Table: Making Democracy Work for Everyone.” We’re looking forward to hearing from informative speakers, networking with members across the state, and approving the League’s program for the next biennium. LWVMA welcomes Representative Liz Miranda (D-5th Suffolk) as our keynote speaker for the 2021 Convention. Rep. Miranda is a member of the Massachusetts Legislature’s Black and Latino Caucus and was a key ally in the omnibus police reform bill that was passed into law on December 31, 2020.
Contact Senators Warren & Markey: Pass S.1/HR1, For the People Act
S.1/HR1, ForThePeopleAct is critical to America’s future. Demand that Congress make elections fairer and puts power back in the hands of the American people. Ask your representative to support automatic voter registration, restore the Voting Rights Act, and reduce the influence of big money in politics.
Click to watch Northampton LWV member, Chris Flory, discuss Medicare for All in MA.