FOREST PROTECTION RALLY, GREENFIELD Save the date!
CONGRATULATIONS! Jesaila Ortiz, winner of the Northampton LWV Civic Engagement Scholarship.
Jesaila is a member of the National Honor Society and also a Skills USA District Gold Medalist in Criminal Justice. In the fall, she will be attending Holyoke Community College studying Liberal Arts.
Help pass For the People Act (S.1) SIGN THE PETITION
Complexities of the Filibuster: The Accidental Rule That Is Interrupting the Democracy We All Deserve
Click on image to watch the video. LWVMA Sizzle Reel-100 Year Timeline. It sizzles!
Rest in Power, Justice Ginsburg
100th Anniversary Ad in Hampshire Gazette, May 23, 2020
70th ANNUAL BOOK SALE! September 25, 2021
- Book collection sites: Forbes Library, Coopers Corner, Smith Voc, July 12 – 30.
- Book collection and sorting: July 12 – 30 from 9 – 12 weekdays, Smith Vocational High School.
Help us celebrate our upcoming 100th anniversary by donating books, passing this notice on to friends and neighbors, and/or helping sort books or working at the sale. While the Book Sale is a fund-raiser, it is also a community service. It offers residents a way to recycle their books ensuring they will be preserved and enjoyed by others. For more information, contact Margie Riddle email@example.com
Help plan CANDIDATE FORUMS for the fall municipal elections
A committee has been formed to plan for candidate forums for the municipal elections in Holyoke and Northampton, particularly the mayoral and city council races . The Daily Hampshire Gazette has agreed to be co-sponsor, and Northampton Open Media will broadcast and record the events. Final candidate slates will be set in mid August. Preliminary elections are September 21 in Holyoke and September 28 in Northampton to select the top two candidates. The general election date is November 6. VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED NOW AND on the day the forums are held, as timers, question collators, etc. Please indicate READINESS TO HELP make these forums happen or in setting up forums for elections in other towns. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
MINUTES JUNE 8TH ANNUAL MEETING
Northampton Area ANNUAL LEAGUE MEETING held on June 8, 2021. In place of our regular dinner meeting, we held a lively ZOOM meeting, including making plans for our September book sale. Read the minutes here.
Hearings on Redistricting in MA. YOU CAN TESTIFY!
- Congressional District 8: Tuesday, June 8, 12-5 p.m.
- Congressional District 1: Monday, June 21, 6 p.m.
- Congressional District 3: Thursday, July 8, 6 p.m.
- To provide live testimony during the hearing please complete the sign up form on the hearing page.
- To submit written testimony, please use the Contact the Committee form on the Special Joint Committee on Redistricting website.
- LWVMA will send emails to local Leagues as their district hearings are scheduled. Please email Judy Zaunbrecher if you plan to testify.
Medicare For All: Contact the Joint Committee on Health Care Financing
- If your state representative and/or state senator is on this committee, contact her/him with a personal note of your support for the bill.
- All LWVMA members please contact all the members of the Health Care Financing Committee here via email or a phone call (617-722-1432 and 617-722-2430). Ask that this bill be voted favorably out of committee in a timely manner so we can have an equitable health care bill discussed and passed in the 192nd session.
- Senate committee chair: Email Sen Cindy F. Friedman here
- House committee chair: Email Rep. John J. Lawn, Jr. here
Pass the VOTES ACT. Contact your Senator and Representative
Contact Senators Warren & Markey: Pass S.1/HR1, For the People Act
S.1/HR1, ForThePeopleAct is critical to America’s future. Demand that Congress make elections fairer and puts power back in the hands of the American people. Ask your representative to support automatic voter registration, restore the Voting Rights Act, and reduce the influence of big money in politics.
Click to watch Northampton LWV member, Chris Flory, discuss Medicare for All in MA.